You have probably heard stories about vehicles that were driving carelessly around a big rig and ended up getting in a serious accident. In fact, when you learned to drive, you were probably reminded of the importance of respecting the sheer size of semi-trucks. At Douglas, Joseph & Olson, we have helped many folks in Pennsylvania to overcome the consequences of being involved in a truck accident.
If you are like many people, you probably attribute the dangers of driving near a truck to be related only to their size. However, there are actually many more reasons why driving around big rigs presents challenges and hazards that you should be aware of. According to Esurance, a few more of the reasons why big trucks can be hazardous if you are driving carelessly around them include the following:
- They take significantly longer to stop if you slam on your brakes or pull out in front of them.
- They create exponentially larger amounts of spray in inclement weather which can create major obstruction if you are driving in a smaller vehicle.
- They are much heavier than an average vehicle, especially when loaded with cargo.
- They have large blind spots which can make it so they conceal your vehicle almost entirely if you are riding right alongside the truck.
- Due to the height of big trucks, if you are involved in a crash with one, there is a good chance that your car could end up underneath the truck.
When you are aware of the hazards of driving near a big rig, you can be extra careful about avoiding behaviors that could turn those hazards into a real threat to your safety. For more information about avoiding trucking accidents, visit our web page.